Call for papers for ANOTHER ARTWORLD: Manifestations and Conditions of Equity in Visual Arts.
The conference , aims to initiate discussion on principles of democratic governance and decision-making models in the field of visual arts, as a topic that has been neglected in the public and scientific discourse, with the desire to broaden knowledge and consider possibilities of its implementation.
Deadline: 30 Sep 2020
The conference is organized by the UNESCO Chair for Cultural Policy and Management of the University of the Arts in Belgrade in cooperation with the Association of Fine Artists of Serbia and will be held in Belgrade on December 3-4 at the Rectorate of UAB and Art Pavilion Cvijeta Zuzoric, but also via online channels (Zoom).
We invite empirical, theoretical and practice-informed contributions from across a range of disciplines (art theory, cultural studies, cultural management, and cultural policy, sociology of art and economics of culture, and other related fields). Proposals could be in a form of individual or group papers, full panel presentations, testimonials, video presentations or poster sessions that should contribute to the consideration of the principles and models of decentralized (horizontal) management in visual arts; models based on equity, cooperative relationships and self-governance, ie. the implementation of direct democracy, which implies direct decision-making on all the common issues in the field of contemporary visual art.
Topics may include, but do not need to be confined to the following:
– Defining and recognizing socially progressive models of organization and management in the field of contemporary visual arts based on the principles of equity, democracy, egalitarianism;
– Case studies of successful and unsuccessful, historical and current examples of democratization of the field of contemporary visual arts;
– Achieving decentralization and democratic approach in the field of contemporary visual arts through cultural policy principles and bottom-up practices;
– Analysis of the impact that different organizational models can have on the position of the artist, the value and function of the work of art, the development of artistic production, encouraging citizens’ participation in cultural life and decision-making processes;
– Policies of participatory practices, collective work, and self-organization in other artistic fields and cultural practice.
Proposals should be submitted to email@example.com no later than September 30th, 2020.
Please find more information on theme of the conference and submission procedure on the official website: https://www.anotherartworld.org