The MA in Art Business (MAAB) was established at Sotheby’s Institute in 1998. The programme has pioneered the development of the study of art business and the international art market as an academic discipline. At the same time it remains a highly vocational course, with a focus on understanding business networks and professional practices. Students from MAAB progress to employment in a broad variety of jobs in art businesses, both public and private sector, across the world.
The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Art Business will be a key member of the team which lead the teaching and development of the MA in Art Business. The successful applicant will have a PhD in an area related to one of more units of the programme. An understanding of basic mathematical principles, spreadsheet formulae, and data analysis is desirable. It would also be helpful if they also had some art world working experience, and/or an understanding of the terminology and methodologies of art history/criticism. They will contribute to teaching across the progra mme. Core programme units include: Navigating the Art World; International Art World: Markets, Ethics and Laws; Art Business, Management and Finance. MAAB‐based elective units include: Art World Operations and Logistics; International Art World: Public Sector; Emerging Markets; The Market for Antiquities and Old Masters; Strategic Management in the Art World.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate academic flexibility as well as a strong commitment to the learning experience and pastoral care of students. This role reports to the Programme Director.
The role involves the following:
- Unit tutor on at least one core MAAB unit; contribution to the development and updating of the unit; assisting in the recruiting of suitable professionals from the art business world to assist in its delivery and academic assessment
- Unit tutor on at least one elective
- Contributions to the Navigating the Art World unit
- Teaching, assessment, MA dissertation supervision
- Acting as a personal tutor
- Accompanying study trips at home and abroad
Continue reading the full job description here (.pdf)