The Burlington Magazine scholarship for the study of French 18th Century fine and decorative art (2021)
Application deadline: 22 Mar 2021
The scholarship has been created to provide funding over a 12-month period to those engaged in the study of French 18th-century fine and decorative art to enable them to develop new ideas and research that will contribute to this field of art historical study.
Applicants must be studying, or intending to study, for an MA, PhD, post-doctoral or independent research in the field of French 18th-century fine and decorative arts within the 12-month period the funding is given (i.e. September 2021 – August 2022).
The funding is open to UK and international applicants.
Support provided and duration:
£10,000 is awarded to one recipient per year and applies to a 12-month period.
Payments are made in Pound Sterling. Payments of £2,500 are normally made on a quarterly basis, with the first payment being disbursed within one month of the recipient being formally notified that they have been awarded the scholarship. Some flexibility in the payment schedule can be made, with prior approval, depending on the recipient’s circumstances.
Before payment can be made, the recipient must have formally accepted the grant. Any unspent funds at the end of the grant period must be returned to The Burlington.
– Tuition/university fees
– Travel and subsistence costs
– Book costs related to the research
– Image costs related to the research
– Facility/museum/archive access costs or related fees, such as photocopying
Cost NOT allowed:
– Travel or registration costs for conference/meeting/workshop/training attendance, collaborative visits, or any training.
– Computer costs, unless it is a dedicated cost that is essential to the proposal and the importance has been clearly justified within the application.
– Any staff costs, whether personal payments (including salary) to the applicant or to other individuals including overseas collaborators, postgraduate, doctoral students and for other members of staff.
– Membership costs to any association(s)/organisation(s)
– General journal subscription costs
The start date of successful applications should be at the beginning of the academic year (generally September). Earlier start dates will be considered for independent scholars or post-doctoral research.
Closing date and notification date
Closing date: 22 March 2021
The successful applicant will be notified by 31 May 2021.
Applicants must provide:
– Description of project/research (no longer than 2 pages of A4)
– Proof of Institution you are attending/will attend – if applicable
Important note: candidates are also requested to include information on whether their proposed plan of research would be inhibited by current Covid-19 travel restrictions.
Applications can only be submitted via email.
All application documents must be submitted in PDF or Word document (.docx) format and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and asked to provide two references for further review by the Selection Panel.
All correspondence should be conducted in English.
Monitoring the award
Grant recipient(s) will provide two reports:
– The first, to be submitted six (6) months after receiving notification of the grant, is an interim written report to the panel on the status and progress of their research. It should be no less than 2-pages of A4 paper, in English.
– The second is a final report to submitted no later than two months after the grant comes to an end. The written report will consist of no less than 2-pages of A4 paper, in English, summarising the results of the research, as well as the spending allocation of the funds received. The recipient will also provide a copy of the thesis or independent research document or publication when it is completed.
Award acknowledgement and logo:
We ask all award-holders to acknowledge The Burlington’s support in any publicity, conference or workshop talks, promotional material or publications associated with the research funded by The Burlington. Logos can be provided upon request.
If you have any enquiries about the submission of your application please contact the Burlington at email@example.com.
For more information, see here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.