Application deadline: Nov 1, 2018
Heidelberg Dissertation Workshops and European-U.K. Research Travel Stipends (Workshop Year 1: July 21 – August 10, 2019)
Heidelberg University, Institute for East Asian Art History announces dissertation workshops for graduate students in the fields of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Art History, with the goal of expanding the opportunities of the next generation of Chinese and Japanese art history scholars — both through access to international resources and by concentrating on skills to strengthen written argumentation and cross-cultural communication.
15 annual selected Ph.D. candidates will have the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in Europe and the U.K. The program will be divided into 3 parts:
1) participants will receive dissertation guidance and feedback on a presentation and a chapter from an international team of professors during a 5 days intensive workshop;
2) during the next 12 days, doctoral candidates will visit major collections of their own choosing based on dissertation research needs (itinerary and appointments organized in advance of workshop);
3) in the final 2 days, participants will return to Heidelberg to discuss their successes and challenges in using European resources, how their goals may have altered, and next steps.
Program Directors: Professors Sarah E. Fraser and Lothar Ledderose, Heidelberg University.
During the first year, the workshop will focus on painting, photography, and calligraphy under the guidance of Professors Craig Clunas (Oxford), Yukio Lippit (Harvard), Shane McCausland (University of London, SOAS), Timon Screech (University of London, SOAS), in addition to Ledderose, Fraser, and Prof. Melanie Trede (Heidelberg).
Graduate Participants will receive travel stipends to conduct research between Workshop Parts I and II. Roundtrip travel to Germany, housing and workshop meals also provided. Supported by generous funding by The Getty Foundation, Connecting Art Histories Program.
Project schedule details:
Arrival day: July 21, 2019.
Workshop Part I: July 22-July 26
Participant Research-Individual Travel in Europe and U.K.: July 27-August 7, 2019
Workshop Part II: August 8-10, 2019 (participants share reports on archival and museum research)
Departure day: August 10, 2019.
Participants are required to be in attendance for the entire period; it is not possible to attend only portions.
Application deadline for Workshop I: November 1, 2018, midnight (Frankfurt time):
Please include the following materials as one, complete PDF file with applicant’s name at the top of every page and send to the Sekretariat of the Institute for East Asian Art History at the following email address: email@example.com.
(Applications submitted as separate files will not be considered complete.)
- Statement of Interest (1-2 page) [explain how this program will aid in the completion of your dissertation and include the following information]: a) name of dissertation advisor(s); b) date advanced to candidacy; and c) whether you have participated in or plan to attend other dissertation workshops in 2017-2019;
- Research travel plan during this dissertation workshop (travel period: July 27-August 7, 2019): include a list of objects and the collections in which they are held in Europe and the U.K. (ca. 20 items, 1-3 pages, 12 point);
- C.V. (2-3 pages);
- Overview of dissertation chapters (3-5 pages, double-spaced, 12-point, additional materials: images and bibliography for a total of 7-9 pages)
- Dissertation Table of Contents (1-2 pages, double-spaced, 12 point)
Selected participants should be prepared to submit a dissertation chapter by March 1, 2019 (25-page polished excerpt from a dissertation chapter and up to additional 15 pages of images and bibliography, for a total of 40 pages). It is anticipated that applicants will have at least 50-70 pages of dissertation completed by the beginning of the July 2019 workshop.
Selection will be announced by January 15, 2019. Travel Visa Assistance and guidance for research travel will be provided.
Workshop Year 2: Themes/Media: Archaeology, Buddhist Art, Porcelain and Ceramics (July 26 – August 15, 2020).