CONVIVIUM. Exchanges and Interactions in the Arts of Medieval Europe, Byzantium, and the Mediterranean
Call for Papers for the issue V / 1 (2018)
Deadline: Sep 25, 2017
The Italian South: Transcultural Perspectives 400-1500
edited by Elisabetta Scirocco ( Bibliotheca Hertziana – MPI) and Gerhard Wolf (Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz – MPI)
This thematic issue of the journal Convivium is dedicated to the Italian South from the 5th to the 15th century. It seeks papers that engage with the specific transcultural dynamics of a geographical and historical area containing highly diverse political, social, and religious entities, as well as with the multi-layered connectivities that can be traced in the Italian South, across the Mediterranean, and beyond. Continue reading “CFP: CONVIVIUM, V / 1 (2018), The Italian South: Transcultural Perspectives 400-1500”
The Conference Committee would like to invite proposals for panel sessions for the AAANZ 2017 Conference in Perth.
The deadline for session proposals is COB Monday 22 May 2017
Please see the submission instructions below. All enquiries to email@example.com.
This year’s conference theme Art and its Directions is broadly conceived against the backdrop of debates relating to national sovereignty and globalisation. Rather than purely a focus on politically based art in this context, we turn to the question of directions in art, where directions refer both to geography and chronology. The aim is to investigate artistic production and exchange in relation to the geographical, conceptual and imaginative relationships between north, south, east and west, so as to encompass discussion of transnational and global art histories; and the binaries of centre and periphery, modern and traditional. The theme takes account of the conference location in Western Australia – ranging from perceptions of the west to its distinct collections, and history.
There is also focus upon how art objects and art practices exist in different spatial and temporal contexts. This may include discussion of the mobility of objects and the materials of art, and of curatorial practices relating to the display of works of art.
Convenors of panel sessions might consider subject areas such as:
- The theorising of geographies in relation to art
- Art and the changing history of place
- Landscapes, travel and the sensory dimension of place
- Heritage, nostalgia and anachronism in art
- Contemporary curatorial practice and its global aspects
- Indigenous art and cultural objects in their original settings and in the museum
- The legacy of colonialism in historical and contemporary art practice
- Emigré and refugee artists, and cross-cultural exchange
- Representations of the cosmos, and the mapping of sea and land in Aboriginal art
- Aboriginal rock art and cross-cultural encounters
- Art and cartography, navigation, travel and trade
- The translocation of art through commercial forces and war
- The mobility of images in the digital age, including the role of photography
- The space of the studio and its relation to the outer world
Continue reading “Call for Sessions: Art and its directions, AAANZ (Perth)”