5th NOTICE OF COMPETITION FOR 2017 FELLOWSHIPS
Fondazione 1563 per l’Arte e la Cultura of the Compagnia di San Paolo launches a competition for 5 Fellowships on the Age and the Culture of Baroque.
Application deadline: 16 July 2017, h 24.00 (midnight).
1. OBJECT OF THE 2017 CALL
The Fellowships Program aims to assign individual fellowships to promote original studies on the Age of Baroque, also in an international comparative perspective.
Research proposals for the 2017 call will need to pertain to the following theme:
Mandatory formulas, fortunate source of various models, vehicle of the affirmation of new directions in the narration of identity and in the culture of representation for figures, places, and contexts. The theme of the
Portrait (as a genre, a product, an allegory, a testimony, and a memory) may be applied to various disciplines connected to historical, political, philosophical, musical, literary, historical-artistic, and historical-architectural culture, also with regard to art collecting, museology, art literature and treatises. The research proposal, unpublished
and original, will need to focus on the period 1680 to 1750, it may follow a diachronic or synchronic approach depending on the scientific requirements of the project.
2. ELIGIBILITY .
The competition is open to researchers born after 1st January 1982 holding a university or master’s degree, or other equivalent degrees, issued by an Italian or equivalent foreign University.
Priority will be given to applicants holding a PhD or equivalent from an Italian or foreign university.
The competition’s relevant disciplines, that may be approached also from a multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary standpoint, are:
• social and demographic history
• political history
• history of economics and history of economic thought
• history of science and technology
• history of literature
• history of philosophy
• history of music
• history of theater
• art history
• history of architecture
• military history
3. NOT ELIGIBLE APPLICATIONS
The following applications will not be eligible to participate in this call:
– applications submitted by researchers who have been awarded other grants, scholarships, fellowships or similar, concerning the same topic that makes the object of the application submitted for this competition;
– applications concerning projects whose subject is not original; however, the theme may be recognized
as original if it is in line with past scientific projects undertaken by the applicant;
– applications for projects that are not scientific research projects according to recognized solid scientificstandards.
4. FELLOWSHIP DESCRIPTION .
Each of the 5 Fellowships will consist of an annual grant amounting to € 23,000 before tax and other charges. Each Fellowship will last for one year, starting 1st January 2018 and ending 31st December 2018. It may be renewed for an additional quarter, without compensation and upon request of the grantee, supported by the tutor’s opinion and subject to approval by the Foundation, that reserves the right to decide on the matter.
A tutor will be appointed by the Foundation as an expert in the selected discipline, in agreement with the grantee, to support the grantee in the research activity and to evaluate the outcomes. The annual grant will be paid out in three installments:
– the first, amounting to 40% of total, when the fellowship is awarded;
– the second, amounting to 30% of total, upon submission and evaluation of the half-year report;
– the third, amounting to 30% of total, upon conclusion of the research project and evaluation thereof.
Refunds of documented travel and accommodation expenses related to the Fellowship project are envisaged for up to € 1,500 per year and must be authorized in advance by the Foundation (“mission procedure”) on a proposal by the tutor.
5. HOW TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION .
Applications will be submitted exclusively using the forms available online and following the procedure indicated on the Foundation’s website under Bandi/ Borse di studio sull’Età e la Cultura del Barocco 2017
Applications must be submitted by 16 July 2017 at h 24.00 (midnight).
6. EVALUATION CRITERIA
The selection of applications will be carried out by the Foundation’s Executive Board assisted by external experts, based on the applicant’s credentials and the research proposal submitted and may require an
interview with the selected applicants to discuss the research project and the applicant’s scientific curriculum.
Projects will be evaluated based on the following criteria (in no particular order):
1. coherence with the call’s theme;
2. originality, quality and scientific relevance of the research project;
3. familiarity with concepts and methods;
4. a clear description of objectives, envisaged activities, expected results and criticalities;
5. contribution to the advancement of knowledge in international research;
6. capacity to establish relations with qualified Research Institutions;
7. indication of evaluation parameters for the research and its outcome.
The offices of the Fondazione (ph.+39 011 440 1405, firstname.lastname@example.org) are available to provide
additional information and clarifications.
ANN: 5 Fellowships on the Age and the Culture of Baroque, Turin. In: H-ArtHist, May 4, 2017 (accessed May 8, 2017).