Between June 1945 and March 1946 the art historian Craig Hugh Smyth was the first director of the Central Collecting Point, the institution in Munich where the US Military Government in Germany collected art in order to return it to its rightful owners. Together with German art historians, Smyth also developed the idea for the Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte which began its activities on 1 March 1947.
On the occasion of its 75th anniversary, the Zentralinstitut publishes a lecture on the creation of the Collecting Point and the foundation of the institute. It was held by Smyth on invitation by the Zentralinstitut on 16 May 1995. His text stands in the line of other reports written by „Monuments Men“ on the recovery and restitution of NS-looted art after WWII.
Passau: Klinger, 2022 (Veröffentlichungen des Zentralinstituts für Kunstgeschichte in München, vol. 63)With a preface by Iris Lauterbach.
72 pp., ill.
For more information and the download link, visit: zikg.eu/forschung/publikationen/schriftenreihen/veroeffentlichungen-zi/smyth_the_central_art_collecting_point.